Tio and Janell Kleberg Wildlife Research Park
The year 2006 not only called for celebration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Institute, but also marked the dawning of a new era for the Institute’s modernized research facilities. For years, entertaining visitors meant a trip to the run-down north pens facility or a welcome to the main office in the Howe building, followed by “this is it.” But now, the Institute opens it’s doors to friends with a proud swing of the iron gates to the new Stephen J. “Tio” and Janell Kleberg Wildlife Research Park.
The new, thirty-five acre complex, located at the northwest corner of the Texas A&M University-Kingsville campus, was made possible by numerous private donations given by generous friends and supporters of the Institute. The land, deeded to the University from King Ranch February 19, 1951, has swung full circle with the dedication of the park to Tio and Janell Kleberg, King Ranch family members and avid supporters of the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute. Once a dream, the complex became reality in 1999 when the University allocated the property to be used for a state-of-the-art Wildlife Research Park.
Visitors are welcomed to the Park through a gated entrance displaying the name “Tio and Janell Kleberg Wildlife Research Park.” To date, the park is home to the Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Center and A. E. Leonard Family Native Plant Garden, the Buddy Temple Wildlife Pathology and Diagnostic Laboratory, the Duane M. Leach Research Aviary and flight cages, the Albert and Margaret Alkek Ungulate Research Facility, and the South Texas Natives Research Farm. Institute scientists and graduate students now have the opportunity to conduct wildlife research using modernized facilities and equipment while maintaining a safe and healthy environment for animals, researchers, and visitors.
Please click here for a map to the Wildlife Park located at 1730 West Corral Avenue in Kingsville, Texas.