Research Technician I - Coastal Prairie Project
Position Description: The Research Technician I, under general supervision performs entry level, semi-skilled, technical support research work involving performance of routine tasks (e.g. quail trapping, radio-telemetry, and fire ant and vegetation sampling) for the Richard M. Kleberg, Jr. Center for Quail Research Program's "gamebirds on the Coastal Prairie project" on 3 ranches in Goliad County, Texas. The selected applicant will assist with current masters and undergraduate students conducting research on red imported fire ants, northern bobwhite, and Attwater's prairie chicken as well as other project activities.
- Collects samples and measurement data from experiments. Implements and maintains data collection and summarization of data.
- Collects and compiles data. Computes quantitates and extends projections.
- Assembles and operates technical equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assists senior staff members in conducting major field experiments and consults in developing procedures.
- Assist with northern bobwhite captures and radio-telemetry.
- Assist with non-invasive fire ant and vegetation surveys.
- Radio and GPS telemetry and analysis.
- Data entry and maintenance of pre-existing databases.
- Assist with other aspects of project activities.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two (2) years of wildlife research experience with some experience in trapping, banding, and radio-tracking gamebirds and conducting vegetation surveys.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others, work independently and as a part of a research team, ability to live in close quarters with members of a research team, ability to drive all-terrain and 4WD vehicles, ability to work under adverse field conditions (hot and humid weather, dense brush, biting insects, and venomous snakes).
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs and hike moderate distances over flat terrain.
- Work beyond normal business hours and/or work on weekends.
- Experience conducting non-invasive surveys preferred.
- Experience conducting radio telemetry preferred.
- Experience with data entry and maintenance of a pre-existing database preferred.
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic and good communication skills
Special Instructions to Applicants Selected: candidates must pass a pre-employment background investigation to be hired for this position.
Notes The above duties may not be performed in every position with this title and the above functions may not include all related duties that might be performed. Requires physical activities supportive of the above job duties. Reasonable accommodations will be made as necessary. If you are a male age 18 through 25, you must be properly registered with the Selective Service System to be eligible for hire. Texas A&M University Kingsville is committed to excellence; the University invites applications from all qualified applicants. Texas A&M University-Kingsville is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.